Explains how to create jobs.
- Defining the flow and dependencies for what order transformations should be run
- Preparing for execution by checking conditions such as, "Is my source file available?," or "Does a table exist?"
- Performing bulk load database operations
- File Management such as posting or retrieving files using FTP, copying files and deleting files
- Sending success or failure notifications through email
For this exercise, imagine that an external system is responsible for placing your sales_data.csv input in its source location every Saturday night at 9 p.m. You want to create a job that will check to see that the file has arrived and run your transformation to load the records into the database. In a subsequent exercise, you will schedule the job to be run every Sunday morning at 9 a.m.
To complete this exercise, you must have completed the exercises in the Create Transformations section.
- Go to File > New > Job.
- Expand the General folder and drag a Start job entry onto the graphical workspace. The Start job entry defines where the execution will begin.
- Expand the Conditions folder and add a File Exists job entry.
- Draw a hop from the Start job entry to the File Exists job entry.
- Double-click the File Exists job entry to open its edit properties dialog box. Click Browse and select the sales_data.csv from the following location:
...\design-tools\data-integration\samples\transformations\files. Be sure to set the filter to CSV files to see the file.
- Click OK to exit from the Open File window.
- Click OK to exit from the Check if a file exists ... window.
- In Spoon, expand the General folder and add a Transformation job entry.
- Draw a hop between the File Exists and the Transformation job entries.
- Double-click the Transformation job entry to open its edit properties dialog box.
- Select the Specify by name and directory option. Click Select a transformation to run from the current repository button. The Select repository object window opens.
- Expand the repository tree to find your sample transformation. Select it and click OK.
- Save your job as Sample Job.
- Click Run Job. When the Execute a Job dialog box appears, choose Local Execution and click Launch. The Execution Results panel should open showing you the job metrics and log information for the job execution.