Interactive Reports is a web-based interface which is used to create on-demand operational reports.
Interactive Reports is a web-based design interface which is used to create both simple and on-demand operational reports without depending on IT or report developers. Use Interactive Reports if you want to create a quick report that answers an immediate business question, looks professional, and provides significant control over formatting elements such as fonts, column width or sorting, background colors, and more.
Interactive Report Sample - Vendor Sales Report
This section highlights some popular Interactive Report capabilities that are available, using the sample report called Vendor Sales Report, located in the Getting Started widget.
- In the Getting Started widget on the Home page, click the Samples tab.
- Click to select Vendor Sales from the scrolling panel on the right.
- Click Explore in the Samples pane.
A new window opens showing the Vendor Sales sample report.
Tour the Interactive Panels
You can view the editable version of the Vendor Sales report in Interactive Reports by going to the Browse Files page in the User Console, and following these quick steps.
- In the Folders pane, click to expand the Public folder, then click to highlight the Steel Wheels folder.
- In the Files pane, double-click on Vendor Sales. The Opened page appears with the Interactive report and toolbars active.
Item Name Function Opened view Displays quick access buttons across the top to create and save new Analysis reports, Interactive reports, and Dashboards. Opened reports and files show as a series of tabs across the page. Data, Formatting, and General panels Use the Data panel to drag information into a column or a row on the report. Your report display changes as you drag items onto the Report Canvas.
Delete a level or measure from your report by dragging it from the Layout panel to the trashcan that appears in the lower right corner of thef Report Panel.
The Formatting panel allows you to change the font size and type on the opened report.
The General panel allows you to set preferences, select a paper size for printing, and select from a variety of templates for your report.
Report Canvas Shows a dynamic view of your Interactive report as you work to build it. The look of your report changes constantly as you work with Data, Formatting, and General panels to refine it. Interactive Toolbar and Filters Use the Toolbar functions to undo or redo actions, hide lists of fields, add or hide filters, disable the auto-refresh function, adjust settings, and change the view of your report.
Use the Filters panel to display a list of filters applied to the active report, or edit or delete filters.
Create Your First Interactive Report
The instructions below guide you through the creation of your first Interactive report using the Steel Wheels sample data.
- From the User Console Home page, click Create New, then choose Interactive Report.
- Choose the Inventory data source from the Select Data Source dialog box. Click OK. A blank Interactive report canvas appears.
- Click and drag the Product Code element onto the Report Canvas until a highlighted vertical line appears. Drop it onto the Report Canvas and continue dragging and dropping these fields onto the canvas: Product Name, Product Vendor, Quantity in Stock, Buy Price, and MSRP. The data from the chosen fields appears on the Report Canvas and populates with the information from the server. You can change the order of the columns by clicking the column heads and dragging the columns left or right until they are in the order you want.
- After you have arranged your columns in order, apply a filter to the data by clicking on the Filter icon in the toolbar. After the filter pane expands, drag the Product Code field onto the filter pane.
- Choose more than one item from the Filter dialog box by holding down the Shift key and clicking on the first item in the list, S10_1678, then clicking on item S12_3148, then clicking the top, right-pointing arrow.
- Type product as your parameter name in the text box. Click OK, then click Apply Filter on the Filter canvas.
- Rename your report by double-clicking on Untitled in the Report Canvas, and typing the name First Interactive Report in the field that appears.
- Click the Save As button in the toolbar. When the Save As dialog box appears, save your report as First Interactive Report, in your user folder and click Save.
- If you want to export the report, click the Export icon on the toolbar and chose a format for the export.
The report exports in the selected format and a paper copy can be printed from the export.
You have successfully created a simple Interactive report from scratch. Use Interactive Reports shows you how to work with complex Interactive reports.