The sample Step plugin is designed to show a minimal functional implementation of a step plugin that you can use as a basis to develop your own custom transformation steps.
The sample Step plugin functionality adds a string field to a row stream and fills it with Hello World!. This screen shot shows the step configuration dialog and preview window.
- Obtain the Sample Plugin Source
The plugin source is available in the download package. Download the package and unzip it. The job entry plugin resides in the kettle-sdk-step-plugin folder.
- Configure the Build
Open kettle-sdk-step-plugin/build/build.properties and set the
kettle-dirproperty to the base directory of your PDI installation.
- Build and Deploy
You may choose to build and deploy the plugin from the command line, or work with the Eclipse IDE instead. Both options are described below.
Build and Deploy From the Command Line
The plugin is built using Apache Ant. Build and deploy the plugin from the command line by invoking the install target from the build directory.
kettle-sdk-step-plugin $ cd build build $ ant install
The install target compiles the source, creates a jar file, creates a plugin folder, and copies the plugin folder into the plugins/steps directory of your PDI installation.
Build and Deploy From Eclipse
Import the plugin sources into Eclipse:
To build and install the plugin, follow these steps:
- From the menu, select File > Import > Existing Projects Into Worksapace.
- Browse to the kettle-sdk-step-plugin folder and choose the project to be imported.
- Open the Ant view in Eclipse by selecting Window > Show View from the main menu and select Ant.
You may have to select Other > Ant if you have not used the Ant view before.
- Drag the file build/build.xml from your project into the Ant view, and execute the install target by double-clicking it.
- After the plugin has been deployed, restart Spoon.
- Open Spoon, and verify that the new step is available as "Demo Step" in the Transform section.