Helps you create an upgrade plan and lists best practices.
Planning is essential for a successful upgrade experience.
Before You Upgrade
Before you upgrade your system to this version of the software, consider these questions.
- Does this version of the software contain new features or bug fixes your organization needs?
- Is your current system near or at End of Life?
Identify Resources and Choose Timeframe
Resources and timeframes are key components in an upgrade plan.
- Does your environment meet the requirements in the Supported Components matrix?
- Who should be involved in the upgrade process? Consider including stakeholders and testers.
- What time of day will you perform the upgrade? How will this affect users?
Prepare Users and Document Decisions
Consider how you will communicate with users and document upgrade decisions.
- How will you handle customer feedback about the upgrade process?
- How will you communicate with internal and external customers and how much advanced notice is needed?
- How will you train users? Tutorials and documentation are available in Pentaho Documentation. Pentaho also offers professionally-led training classes.
- How will you document upgrade decisions?
- Who will have access to your upgrade plan and where will it be located.
Apply Upgrade Best Practices
Observe these best practices as you perform the upgrade process.
- Get the latest version of this document from the Pentaho Documentation site.
- Perform a trial run of the upgrade procedures on a test server that has an identical copy of your production server.
- Once you have verified the process, perform the procedure on your production server.
- Schedule the production upgrade during a planned downtime to avoid interrupting users.