Connecting to a data source in Instaview requires you to select the format of the data to analyze and configure how to connect to the source files. These instructions show you how to connect to the provided sample comma delimited text file (CSV), sales_data.csv.
- From the --check--New Data Source gallery click the Local File tab, then CSV. Click OK. The CSV Input dialog box appears.
- In the Step Name field, type Read Sales Data. This is the name of the new data source connection.
- In the Filename field, click Browse to locate the source file, sales_data.csv, available at
- Click Get Fields to retrieve the input fields from the source file. A dialog box appears requesting that you to specify the number of lines to scan. Once the fields from the source file are retrieved, this dialog box also enables you to specify settings for the fields, such as their format, length, and precision.
- Type 0 (zero) in the Number of Sample Lines text fields to scan all the lines of data. By scanning all lines, you ensure Instaview reads the entire contents of the file and you reduce the possibility of errors that could impede the connection.
- Click OK and the summary of the scan results appears. Once you are done examining the scan results, click Close to return to the CSV Input dialog box.
Your CSV Input dialog box will look like this.
- Click OK to begin processing the data. You briefly see the processing screen while Instaview creates a connection to the data source, a data transformation, and a metadata model.