This exercise walks you through the process of designing the look-and-feel of your report.
- Under the View item in the Report Designer menu bar, click Element Alignment Hints and Snap to Elements to enable them. These options help you to align the elements of your report.
- In the Design page, under Query 1, click and drag the ORDERNUMBER field into the Details band. Make sure that the top line of the field name and the top line of the Details band match up.
- Place the ORDERDATE, PRODUCTNAME, QUANTITYORDERED, and PRICEEACH fields into the Details Band. Take care not to overlap the fields or your report will not display correctly.
- Use the resizing handles to make the PRODUCTNAME field larger and the QUANTITYORDERED field smaller as shown in the example below:
- You have created your first report. Click (Preview) to examine your report. Click (Edit) to return to the workspace view. Tip: You can also click (Preview) on the left side of your workspace or select it from the View menu option to preview a report. Click (Edit) to return to the workspace view.But, wait... There's a problem. Without headers, report users will have a hard time understanding its content. You must continue refining your report, see refining your report.