Create an Interactive report and learn to customize your reports to better suit your audience.
Creating Interactive reports is easy to do from the Home page of the User Console. Interactive reports are built by clicking and dragging fields from your data source and on to a report canvas. You can see the report take shape as you drag fields to the canvas, and you can change the layout and format of the report as you go along.
Create an Interactive Report
These steps guide you through making an Interactive report.
- From User Console Home, click Create New, then Interactive Report.
- Choose a data source for the report from the Select Data Source dialog box. Click Ok.
If no data source is listed in the dialog box, contact your administrator for help.
- To add your first column, click and drag a field from the Data tab in the left panel.
- Drag the field over the report canvas on the right until a vertical line appears, then drop the field in place. This field becomes a column in your report.
- Continue to drag and drop fields on to the report canvas until you have all of the columns of your report in place.
You can rearrange the order of the columns by clicking on the headers and dragging the columns to the right or left of their current location. When a green line appears, you can drop the column there. You can also resize your columns by selecting the bar to the right or left of the column header and dragging it until your columns are the correct size.
- Rename your report by double-clicking on Untitled in the Report Canvas, and typing a name in the field that appears.
- Click the Save As in the toolbar. When the Save As dialog box appears, type a file name for your report, choose a location to save it in, and click Save.
Your new Interactive report is created and saved in the location of your choice.
Edit Your Interactive Report
Use these steps to edit your Interactive report.
- Login to the User Console and click Browse Files to locate the folder containing your report.
- Right-click the report name in the Files pane and choose Edit from the Folder Actions pane. Alternatively, double-click the report name to open it, then click Edit in the User Console toolbar.
- Edit your report as needed.
- Save your report.
Read and Export in View-Only Mode
After you save your Interactive report, browse for it in your BA repository. You can quickly identify an Interactive report by its icon. When the report appears, notice that the toolbar that allows you to perform certain actions on the report.
Hover your mouse over the icons in the toolbar to see which actions you can take. These actions include:
- Exporting a report as a PDF, HTML, Excel, or CSV file to be saved locally.
- You can also export a report in Edit mode.
- Adding filters for viewing report data.
- Rearranging the report layout, such as moving, sorting, and removing columns from the report.
You cannot save any changes to your report when you are in View-only mode. However, you can click Edit in the User Console toolbar to return to edit mode and save your changes.
Quick Tips for Building Large Reports
If you are building an Interactive report with a large amount of data, you might find that it is quicker to build the report if the data isn't constantly refreshing or returning a large number of rows. You can manually refresh the report to view your results at any point in the process.
When you are done designing the report and want to run it with the entire data set, you can generate the full report by simply scheduling the report to run.
Enable Row Limits and Query Timeouts
You can limit the number of rows that are displayed in your report during the design process. You can also limit the number of seconds a query runs before a timeout occurs. Imposing row limits and time outs on queries is important to avoid out-of-memory errors, or processes that consume too many resources on the database server.
Both options are available in the Query Setup dialog box. In the Data tab, click the small icon in the upper-right corner to open the Query Setup dialog box. Make changes as needed and close the dialog box when you are done.
If you have exceeded the system maximum of rows, a help message pops up to guide you.
Maintain the BA Server Manually has information for system admins on how to define the system maximum row limit for Interactive Reports.
Disable Auto Refresh Mode in Interactive Reports
When you disable the Auto Refresh mode in Interactive Report you can design your report layout first, including calculations and filtering, without querying the database until you are done. When the report layout is complete, you can re-enable Auto Refresh mode. Data retrieval occurs once, and your report displays the requested data. Disable auto refresh if you want to reduce the number of queries executed against the data source, or if you know that the data source returns data slowly.
To disable Auto Refresh, click the small icon in the upper-right corner of the Data tab to open the Query Setup dialog box, then disable the Auto Refresh option.