Explains how to create, save, and run a transformation. Also explains how to build a job.
This section explains how to create, save, and run a transformation. See Getting Started with PDI for a comprehensive, "real world" exercise for creating, running, and scheduling transformations and jobs.
Create a Transformation
Follow these instructions to create your transformation.
- Click File > New > Transformation or hold down the CTRL+N keys.
- Click the Design tab. Expand the folders or use the Steps field to view the steps.
- Either drag the step to the Spoon canvas or double-click it.
- Double-click the step to open its properties window. For help on filling out the window, click the Help button that is available in each step.
- To add another step either drag the step to the Spoon canvas or double-click it.
- If you dragged the step to the canvas, add a hop by pressing the SHIFT key and drawing a hop from one step to the other.
- If you double-click it, a hop also appears that connects it to the previous step.
- When finished, save the transformation. See Save Your Transformation for more details.
Adjust Transformation Properties
You can adjust the parameters, logging options, dates, dependencies, monitoring, settings, and data services for transformations. To view the transformation properties, click the CTRL+T or right-click on the canvas and select Transformation settings from the menu that appears.
Save a Transformation Locally
Follow these instructions to save a transformation locally on your file system.
- In Spoon, select File > Save.
- Enter the transformation name in the Save As window and select the location.
- Click OK. The transformation is saved.
Save a Transformation Remotely
Follow these instructions to save a transformation remotely on the DI Server.
- Connect to a database repository.
- In Spoon, click File > Save As. The Transformation Properties window appears.
- In the Transformation Name field, enter the transformation name.
- In the Directory field, click the Folder Icon to select a repository folder where you will save your transformation.
- Click OK to exit the Transformation Properties dialog box. The Enter Comment dialog box appears.
- Enter a comment, then click OK. The transformation is saved.
Run a Transformation
When you are done modifying a transformation, you can run it by clicking the Run button from the main menu toolbar, or by pressing F9. There are three options that allow you to decide where you want your transformation to be executed:
- Local Execution — The transformation executes on the machine you are currently using.
- Execute remotely — Allows you to specify a remote server where you want the execution to take place. This feature requires that you have the Data Integration Server running or Data Integration installed on a remote machine and running the Carte service. To use remote execution you first must set up a slave server (see the Using Carte article) .
- Execute clustered — Allows you to execute a transformation in a clustered environment.