Prompts display a subset of data based on the dashboard user's point of view. For example, a European user may only want to see EMEA region sales data, whereas the dashboard's default region is the NA region. To ensure that a prompt links to the correct content in a dashboard, the content to which you are linking (data table or chart) must contain at least one parameter.
Below are general instructions below for adding prompts to your dashboard:
- In the dashboard page, choose Edit (the pencil icon), which will make the Objects pane appear.
- Under General Settings, choose Prompts. The Prompts pane appears on the right. No prompts are listed if this is the first time you are assigning prompts.
- To display a prompt toolbar to users of the dashboard, enable Show Prompt Toolbar. The prompt toolbar appears at the top of the dashboard.
- Click the Add button to start adding prompts. The Prompts dialog box appears.
- In the Prompts dialog box, enter a display name for the control label. For example, "Region."
- Enable Display Name as Control Label if you want users to see the display name in the prompts toolbar.
- Select your control type. Control types define how your prompt values are selected; for example, in a drop down list, radio button, check box, and so on.
The table below contains a description of each control type.
Control Type Description Drop Down Users choose a prompt value from a drop-down list. List Users choose a prompt value from a scrolling list. This prompt control supports multiple selections. Radio button Users click a radio button to choose a prompt value. Check box Users enable a check box to choose a prompt value. This prompt control supports multiple selections. Button User click a button to choose a prompt value. This prompt control supports multiple selections. Text Field Users enter a text string or number into a text field manually. Date Picker Users examine prompt values based on calendar date.