You must have a report file open in order to proceed, and your data source must be accessible before you can connect to it in Report Designer. For database connections, you may need to first obtain necessary information from your system administrator, such as the URL, port number, JDBC connection string, database type, and user credentials.
Follow this procedure to add a data source in Report Designer.
- Select the Data tab in the upper left pane. By default, Report Designer starts in the Structure tab, which shares a pane with Data.
- Click the yellow cylinder icon in the upper left part of the Data pane, or right-click Data Sets. A drop-down menu with a list of supported data source types will appear.
- Select XML from the drop-down menu. The XML Datasource Editor window will appear.
- Click the round green + icon above the Available Queries field.
- Type a concise yet reasonably descriptive name into the Query Name field.
- Enter your XQuery into the Query field, then click Preview to ensure that it is valid.
- Click OK when your query is in order.