You can use Report Designer to edit a report created with Pentaho Interactive Reporting. This procedure assumes that you have a .prpti report created with Pentaho Interactive Reporting
Note: Once a .prpti file has been edited with Report Designer, it can no longer be used with Interactive Reporting.
- Copy the .prpti file from the solution in the BA Server's /pentaho-solutions/ directory to the workstation that has Report Designer. If you have the BA Server and Report Designer on the same machine, this step may not be necessary. However, you may need to create a copy of the .prpti file if you want to continue using the original in Interactive Reporting.
- Copy the .xmi data source file from the solution in the BA Server's /pentaho-solutions/ directory to the workstation that has Report Designer.
- Start Report Designer and open the .prpti file.
- Edit the report's data source definition and replace the URL to the BA Server's XMI file to the one you copied from the BA Server. Report Designer is unable to connect to XMI files on remote BA Server machines. If you have the BA Server on the same system with Report Designer, you can continue using that XMI file, but you still have to provide the local filesystem location in place of the old BA Server URL.
- Establish a data source connection to the database referenced in the XMI file. The XMI file defines a metadata model, which can be used as a data source so long as the database it provides metadata for is available to Report Designer.
- Copy the appropriate JDBC driver for the XMI database connection to the /report-designer/lib/jdbc/ directory. You may already have an appropriate database driver; if so, skip this step.
You have successfully migrated an Interactive Report to Report Designer. From here, you can render and distribute or publish it. If you publish this file to the BA Server, it will be treated as a Report Designer .prpt report, not as an Interactive Reporting .prpti report.