Introduction to Spoon perspectives.
Pentaho Data Integration (PDI) empowers you with tools that include ETL, modeling, scheduling, and visualization in one unified environment — the Spoon interface. This integrated environment enables you to work in close cooperation with business users to build business intelligence solutions more quickly and efficiently.
When you are working in Spoon, you can change perspectives to easily switch back and forth from:
- Designing ETL jobs and transformations
- Modeling your data
- Scheduling jobs and transformations
- Visualizing data models
As users provide you with feedback about how the data is presented to them, you can quickly make iterative changes to your data directly in Spoon by changing perspectives. The ability to quickly respond to feedback and to collaborate with business users is part of the Pentaho Agile BI initiative.
From within Spoon, you can change perspectives using the Perspective menu located in the upper-right corner of the window.
Perspectives in PDI help you focus how you work with different aspects of data.
- Data Integration perspective—Connect to data sources and extract, transform, and load your data
- Model Editor perspective—Create a metadata model to identify the relationships within your data structure
- Schedule perspective—Plan when to run data integration jobs and set timed intervals to automatically send the output to your preferred destinations
- Visualize perspective—Create charts, maps, and diagrams based on your data using an interface built from the Report Design Wizard and Analyzer clients