How to access Spoon.
Start Spoon for Windows Pentaho Graphical Installation
- Start the DI server.
- From the Windows Start menu, select All Programs > Pentaho Enterprise Edition > Design Tools > Data Integration. The PDI Design Tool, Spoon, appears.
Start Spoon for Archive or Manual Installation
- Start the DI server.
- Navigate to the folder where you have installed PDI. For example ...\pentaho\design-tools\data-integration.
- Launch Spoon in the best way for your operating system.
- For Windows: double-click Spoon.bat.
- For Linux: double-click spoon.sh
- For Macintosh: go to .../pdi-ee/data-integration and double click on Data Integration icon.
Data Integration Perspective
The Data Integration interfaces allows you to create transformations, jobs, and more.
|Create a new job or transformation|
|Open transformation/job from file if you are not connected to a repository or from the repository if you are connected to one|
|Explore the repository|
|Save the transformation/job to a file or to the repository|
|Save the transformation/job under a different name or file name (Save as)|
|Run transformation/job and set run options; runs the current transformation from XML file or repository|
|Preview transformation: runs the current transformation from memory. You can preview the rows that are produced by selected steps.|
|Run the transformation in debug mode; allows you to troubleshoot execution errors|
|Replay the processing of a transformation|
|Run an impact analysis on the database|
|Generate the SQL that is needed to run the loaded transformation.|
|Launch the database explorer allowing you to preview data, run SQL queries, generate DDL and more|
|Show execution results pane|
- Copy your license files to a convenient location.
- Log into Spoon. The Pentaho License Manager dialog appears.
- From within the Pentaho License Manager, click on the Add button.
- Double-click on the license key to open it. A green check appears in the Status column to show that the license key installed correctly.
- Click Close to close the dialog box.
- Close any windows that appear and restart Spoon so that the license key will take effect.
Connect to the Pentaho Repository
The Pentaho Repository provides you a place to centrally store ETL jobs and transformations. You may choose to set up common connections for your users now or you can close the dialog box and allow your users to connect to the Pentaho Repository themselves.
- Start Spoon.
- Select Tools > Repository > Connect.
- In the Repository Connection dialog box, click the add button.
- Select Pentaho Repository (Recommended) and click OK. The Repository Configuration dialog box appears.
- Keep the default URL, which is http://localhost:9080/pentaho-di.
- Click Test to ensure your connection is properly configured. If you get an error, make sure you have started the DI Server.
- Click OK to exit the Success dialog box.
- Enter an ID and Name for your repository.
- Click OK to exit the Repository Configuration dialog box. Your new connection appears in the list of available repositories.
- Log on to the repository by entering the following credentials: user name = admin, password = password.
If you want the Repository Connection window to automatically appear when Spoon starts, go to Tools > Options and click Show repository dialog at startup.