As you explore Pentaho Business Analytics, you will be introduced to the major components, watch videos, work through hands-on examples, and learn about the different features. Go at your own pace. Feel free to dig into the documentation or to contact Pentaho sales support if you have questions.
This section is divided into four parts that will help you get familiar with Business Analytics:
- Tour the User Console and create your first reports
- Explore and learn data source basics
- Learn about Report Designer
- Discover more about Pentaho Business Analytics
Tour the User Console and Create Your First Reports
The User Console is a web-based design environment where you can analyze data, create interactive reports, dashboard reports, and build integrated dashboards to share business intelligence solutions with others in your organization and on the internet. In addition to its design features, the User Console offers a wide variety of system administration features for configuring the Pentaho Server, maintaining Pentaho licenses, setting up security, managing report scheduling, and tailoring system performance to meet your requirements.
If you have installed the trial download on your laptop or desktop machine, you are ready to get started exploring. If you have the software installed on a server, and want to use your machine to point to it, see Develop Your BA Environment for details.
|Tour the User Console|| |
|Create Your First Reports and Dashboards|| |
|Schedule Your Report|| || |
Explore and Learn Data Source Basics
If you have already worked with the Steel Wheels sample data, and want to learn how to create your own data sources and data models with Pentaho, use the Data Source Wizard. The Data Source Wizard helps you define a data source that contains the data you want to use and guides you through the creation of your evaluation data model for use in creating reports.
After you define a data source, you can make it available to other evaluators so they can create reports and analysis by simply picking the data source from the data source list. Any number of reports can be created using a single data source.
|Create Your First Data Source|| |
|Choose Data Source Types|| |
|Create Your First CSV Data Source|| |
|Refine Your Data Source Model||(Optional) Edit your evaluation data source model using the Data Source Model Editor.|
|Inline Model Editing|| || |
|Learn about Streamlined Data Refinery|| || |
Learn about Report Designer
Pentaho Report Designer is a report creation tool that you can use by itself, or as part of the Pentaho Suite. It allows professionals to create print-quality reports based on data from virtually any type of data source.
These resources will help you get familiar with the Report Designer interface, and guide you through the creation and publishing of a print-quality report.
|Explore the Report Designer Interface|| |
|Report Designer Workflow Overview|| || |
|Create Your First Report|| |
|Refine the Look of Your Report|| |
|Add a PDI Data Source|| |
Discover more about Pentaho Business Analytics
- Create Analysis, Interactive Reports, and Dashboards provides in-depth details about creating eye-catching business intelligence deliverables for your user community.
- The Build Full-Featured Solutions section of our documentation contains a large number of topics on working with the Pentaho Suite. Here you can learn about defining data models, fine-tuning your reports, how to create print-quality reports, or work with Big Data.
- If you are a system administrator, check out the Configuration and Administration sections. Both have details on configuring and administering your Pentaho Server using the User Console, as well as a section on the variety of things you can do to maintain your server manually.