Examine different reports, have quick web access, or view charts and graphs from one screen.
Dashboard Designer allows you to create dashboards with little or no training. The dashboard is several different reports brought together inside one screen. Use Dashboard Designer if you want to create an interface to view many different reports at once, have quick access to web pages that you visit often, or view dynamic charts and graphs within a space while you create reports in another.
View a Dashboard Sample
This section highlights some popular Dashboard Designer capabilities that are available, using the sample dashboard called Sales Performance (Dashboard), located in the Getting Started widget.
- In the Getting Started widget on the Home page, click the Samples tab.
- Scroll down to find the Sales Performance (Dashboard) sample. Click Explore to open a new browser screen, then click the Samples tab.
- In the scrolling panel, scroll left to find Sales Performance (Dashboard) and click it to view the sample.
Tour the Dashboard Panels
You can view the editable version of the Sales Performance (Dashboard) in Dashboard Designer by clicking Browse Files on the User Console Home page. Follow these quick steps.
- In the Folders pane, click to expand the Public folder, then click to highlight the Steel Wheels folder.
- In the center pane, double-click on Sales Performance (Dashboard).
- After the dashboard opens, click the Edit Content icon in the toolbar.
Item Name Function Opened view Displays quick access buttons across the top to create and save new Analysis reports, Interactive reports, and Dashboards. Opened reports and files show as a series of tabs across the page. Prompts panel The Prompts panel gives you a way to add filters to the individual parts of your dashboard. Browse Folders and Files panel Locate your files using the Browse and Files panels, and add them to dashboards. Dashboard canvas Shows a dynamic view of your Dashboard as you work to build it. The look of your dashboard refreshes as you add content from the Browse Folders and Files panels, and work with the Prompts or Objects panels. Objects panel Refine the look of your dashboard with the Objects panel by choosing a dashboard template or changing the titles for each object in the dashboard.
Create Your First Dashboard
- From the User Console Home page, click Create New, then choose Dashboard.
- In the Edit Pane, click Templates tab and select the 2 over 1 layout to use for this exercise.
- Click the Properties tab, and type My Dashboard in the Page Title text box. This is the title for your dashboard page.
- Click the Themes tab and select the theme of your choice. The new theme will be applied to your dashboard immediately.
- Locate the Analyzer report you created earlier by going to the Browse pane to the left of the Dashboard canvas and clicking on the folder you used before. Click-and-drag the Territory - Sales file from the Files pane and onto the top-left dashboard panel.
- Within the Edit pane, type Territory - Sales in the Title text box and click Apply. The dashboard panel is populated with the Territory - Sales report.
- Locate your Interactive report through the Browse pane to the left of the Dashboard canvas. Click-and-drag the In Stock Report file from the Files pane and onto the top-right dashboard panel.
- Within the Edit pane, type In Stock Report in the Title text box and click Apply. The right dashboard panel is populated by the In Stock report. You can drag any report from the Steel Wheels folder in Public into the bottom dashboard panel. Enter a title for this dashboard panel and click Apply.
- Click on the Save as icon in the toolbar. When the Save As dialog box appears, save your dashboard as My Dashboard and click Save.
- Close the dashboard (click the X to close it in the tabs at the top), then go to Browse Files and double-click on My Dashboard in the Files pane.
You have successfully created a simple Dashboard from scratch. Use Dashboard Designer illustrates how to work with complex dashboards.