You can select to hide or show fields in the list of Available fields for a report. Hiding fields is helpful when you want a clear view of only those fields you are interested in for your report. When you hide a field, it is no longer available for selection in the report.
To hide fields, you must be assigned the 'Manage Data Sources' operation permission in Users and Roles. For more information about setting and maintaining permissions and roles for users, see Use Pentaho Security. Note that the total number of available fields displayed at the top is dependent upon the user's role and permissions. For users with the Manage Data Sources operation permission, the number will always reflect the total fields available, including hidden and unhidden fields, as well as calculated measures added to the model via inline model editing. For users without the Manage Data Sources operation permission, the number will reflect all fields which are visible, but will not include hidden fields.
Hide a Field
- In the Available fields list, hover your mouse over the field you want to hide and click the down arrow.
- From the context menu which appears, click Set Hidden to hide the field. This field is no longer visible in the list.
When you hide a field which is currently used in one or more of your reports, the field is automatically removed from all of your reports, including drill-through links. You can click the Undo button to restore the field to the report prior to saving your changes. Once saved, you will have to unhide that field to restore it to the Available fields list.
View Hidden Fields
If you want to view hidden fields, use the Show Hidden Fields option from the View menu.
- In the Available fields list, click the down arrow next to the View option.
- From the context menu which appears, click Show Hidden Fields. The hidden fields now show in gray in the Available fields list.
- To prevent the hidden fields from appearing in the list, clear the Show Hidden Fields option.
You can use hidden fields to create and edit the formulas for calculated measures. When you select the Show Hidden Fields option in the View menu for the Available Fields list, measures set as 'hidden' are available for selection in the calculated measure formula field. To view these hidden measures, you need the Manage Data Source permission.
Unhide a Field
You can unhide fields which were previously hidden.
- If you have not already done so, select the Show Hidden Fields option from the View menu to display all the hidden fields.
- In the Available fields list, hover your mouse over the grayed-out field you want to show and click the down arrow.
- From the context menu which appears, click Set Hidden so this option is no longer selected. This field is now visible in the list and available for selection in the report.