You must know the base URL for the Pentaho Server (the default URL is http://localhost:8080/pentaho as well as the name of the service to execute security information retrieval (the service is ServiceAction).
The Pentaho Metadata Editor must be configured to connect to your Pentaho Server so that it can retrieve usernames, roles, and access control lists. Follow the below directions to set up Metadata Editor.
- Start the Pentaho Metadata Editor.
- Go to the Tools menu, then select Security.... The Security Service dialogue will appear.
- In the Service URL field, type in the base URL for the Pentaho Server plus the security service.
- Next, select the level of detailed security information you want: All, Users or Roles. If you have hundreds of users in your system, you probably only want to return the roles, and use roles for security information properties. The access control lists are returned with all three options.
- In the Username and Password fields, type in the login credentials for an administrator-level account.
- Click Test.
A popup window with the returned XML should appear. If it does not, check that the information you typed into the fields mentioned above is correct.