Use the Pentaho Data Integration data source option if you want to create a report that contains data from any step in a PDI transformation. This is particularly useful if you want to create a report that includes data from transformation steps such as Splunk Input or Splunk Output. You must have a report file open in order to proceed, and your data source must be accessible before you can connect to it in Report Designer. As mentioned previously in this section, the first time you create a Kettle data source you must also copy all of the JAR files from /pentaho/design-tools/data-integration/lib/ and all of its subdirectories except the JDBC subdirectory to /pentaho/design-tools/report-designer/lib/ in order to access it through Report Designer.
Your data source must not contain multi-select parameters. Data Integration does not accept array parameters; only strings are accepted.
Follow this procedure to add a Pentaho Data Integration (Kettle) data source in Report Designer.
- Select the Data tab in the upper right pane. By default, Report Designer starts in the Structure tab, which shares a pane with Data.
- Click the yellow cylinder icon in the upper left part of the Data pane, or right-click Data Sets. A drop-down menu with a list of supported data source types will appear.
- Select Pentaho Data Integration from the drop-down menu. The Kettle Datasource window will appear.
- Click the round green + icon to add a new query.
- Type a concise yet sufficiently descriptive name into the Name field.
- Click Browse and navigate to your Pentaho Data Integration KTR file.
- Review the imported steps and modify their parameters accordingly, then click OK.