The intuitive, drag-and-drop, browser-based design environment for Interactive Reports enables you to quickly add elements to your report and format them any way you like. You do not need any special expertise to use Interactive Reports. You can also display Interactive Reports in a dashboard in the User Console.
Here is a list of the main Interactive Report features.
- Drag-and-drop report design
- Font selection
- Column resizing
- Column sorting
- Ability to rename column headers
- Copy and paste functionality
- Unlimited undo and redo functionality
- Ability to output reports as HTML, PDF, CSV, Excel Workbook, or Excel 93-2003 Workbook files
- Ability to display reports in a dashboard
Before you can create an Interactive Report, you must have access to a data source. The data source for an Interactive Report is based on the Pentaho relational data model, also known as the metadata data model. This model enables the Pentaho system to present data in reports in meaningful business terms instead of in abstract terms. For example, a table referred to as CUST_TBLE or ORDR_TBLE in the data model can be presented in your report as Customers and Orders.
Get Started with Interactive Reporting
By going to the Browse Files perspective in the User Console, you can also view an editable version of the Vendor Sales report. Switch to the Browse Files perspective in the User Console, then follow these steps.
- In the Folders pane, click to expand the Public folder, then click to highlight the Steel Wheels folder.
- In the Files pane, click on Vendor Sales, and then click Edit in File Actions. The Opened perspective appears with the Interactive report and toolbars active.
Item Name Function Opened view Displays quick access buttons across the top to create and save new Analysis reports, Interactive reports, and Dashboards. Opened reports and files show as a series of tabs across the page. Data, Formatting, and General panels Use the Data panel to drag information into a column or a row on the report. Your report display changes as you drag items onto the Report Canvas.
Delete a level or measure from your report by dragging it from the Layout panel to the trash can that appears in the lower right corner of the Report Panel.
The Formatting panel allows you to change the font size and type on the opened report.
The General panel allows you to set preferences, select a paper size for printing, and select from a variety of templates for your report.
Report Canvas Shows a dynamic view of your Interactive report as you work to build it. The look of your report changes constantly as you work with Data, Formatting, and General panels to refine it. Interactive Toolbar and Filters Use the Toolbar functions to undo or redo actions, hide lists of fields, add or hide filters, disable the auto-refresh function, adjust settings, and change the view of your report.
Use the Filters panel to display a list of filters applied to the active report, or edit or delete filters.
Create an Interactive Report
These steps guide you through making an Interactive report.
- From User Console Home, click Create New, then Interactive Report.
- Choose a data source for the report from the Select Data Source dialog box. Click Ok.
If no data source is listed in the dialog box, contact your administrator for help.
- To add your first column, click and drag a field from the Data tab in the left panel.
- Drag the field over the report canvas on the right until a vertical line appears, then drop the field in place. This field becomes a column in your report.
- Continue to drag and drop fields on to the report canvas until you have all of the columns of your report in place.
You can rearrange the order of the columns by clicking on the headers and dragging the columns to the right or left of their current location. When a green line appears, you can drop the column there. You can also resize your columns by selecting the bar to the right or left of the column header and dragging it until your columns are the correct size.
- Rename your report by double-clicking on Untitled in the Report Canvas, and typing a name in the field that appears.
- Click the Save As in the toolbar. When the Save As dialog box appears, type a file name for your report, choose a location to save it in, and click Save.
Your new Interactive Report is created and saved in the location of your choice.
Edit Your Interactive Report
Use these steps to edit your Interactive Report.
- Login to the User Console and click Browse Files to locate the folder containing your report.
- Right-click the report name in the Files pane and choose Edit from the Folder Actions pane. Alternatively, double-click the report name to open it, then click Edit in the User Console toolbar.
- Edit your report as needed.
- Save your report.
Customize an Interactive Report
You can adjust columns, formats, and templates of your interactive report. The columns in the report can be reordered along with the changing of headers and footers. Use the Formatting and General tabs to apply specific formats and templates as well as page layout.
Read and Export in View-Only Mode
After you save your Interactive report, browse for it in your Pentaho repository. You can quickly identify an Interactive Report by its icon. When the report appears, notice that the toolbar that allows you to perform certain actions on the report.
Hover your mouse over the icons in the toolbar to see which actions you can take. These actions include:
- Exporting a report as a PDF, HTML, CSV, Excel Workbook, or Excel 93 - 2003 Workbook file to be saved locally.
- You can also export a report in Edit mode.
- Adding filters for viewing report data.
- Rearranging the report layout, such as moving, sorting, and removing columns from the report.
You cannot save any changes to your report when you are in View-only mode. However, you can click Edit in the User Console toolbar to return to edit mode and save your changes.
Build Large Reports
If you are building an Interactive Report with a large amount of data, you might find that it is quicker to build the report if the data isn't constantly refreshing or returning a large number of rows. You can manually refresh the report to view your results at any point in the process.
When you are done designing the report and want to run it with the entire data set, you can generate the full report by simply scheduling the report to run.
Enable Row Limits and Query Timeouts
You can limit the number of rows that are displayed in your report during the design process. You can also limit the number of seconds a query runs before a timeout occurs. Imposing row limits and time outs on queries is important to avoid out-of-memory errors, or processes that consume too many resources on the database server.
Both options are available in the Query Setup dialog box. In the Data tab, click the small icon in the upper-right corner to open the Query Setup dialog box. Make changes as needed and close the dialog box when you are done.
Maintain the Pentaho Server Manually has information for system admins on how to define the system maximum row limit for interactive reports.
Disable Auto Refresh Mode in Interactive Reports
When you disable the Auto Refresh mode in Interactive Report you can design your report layout first, including calculations and filtering, without querying the database until you are done. When the report layout is complete, you can re-enable Auto Refresh mode. Data retrieval occurs once, and your report displays the requested data. Disable auto refresh if you want to reduce the number of queries executed against the data source, or if you know that the data source returns data slowly.
To disable Auto Refresh, click the small icon in the upper-right corner of the Data tab to open the Query Setup dialog box, then disable the Auto Refresh option.
The following topics help to extend your knowledge of Interactive Reports beyond basic setup and use: