Analyzer Reports is an intuitive analytical visualization tool that filters and drills down into business information contained in Pentaho Analysis data sources. Use Analyzer Reports if you want to compile data quickly in an interactive environment, perform advanced sorting and filtering of your data, and want to see chart visualizations that include conditional stop-lighting.
View an Analyzer Report Sample
This section highlights some popular Analyzer capabilities that are available, using the sample report called European Sales located in the Getting Started widget.
- In the Getting Started widget on the Home page, click the Samples tab.
- In the scrolling panel, scroll down and click European Sales and then click Explore. A new browser window will open. Click the Samples tab to see the report.
Tour the Analyzer Panels
You can view the editable version of European Sales in Analyzer by going to the Browse Files page in the User Console. Follow these steps.
- From the User Console Home page, click the Browse Files button. In the Browsing pane, click to expand the Public folder, then click to expand the Steel Wheels folder.
- In the center pane, double-click on European Sales. The Opened page appears with the Analysis report. Click the Add More Fields and Rearrange Fields icons on the toolbar to expand the Available Fields and Layout panels.
Item Name Function Opened view Displays quick access buttons across the top to create and save new Analysis reports, Interactive reports, and Dashboards. Opened reports and files show as a series of tabs across the page. Available Fields and Layout panels Use the Available Fields and Layout panels to drag levels and measures into a report.
Your report displays changes in the Report Canvas as you drag items onto the Layout panel.
Delete a level or measure from your report by dragging it from the Layout panel toward the lower right corner of the Report Canvas. As you drag it, a trash can icon appears in the lower right corner of the canvas.
Report Canvas Shows a dynamic view of your report as you work to build it. The look of your report changes constantly as you work with Available Fields and Layout panels to refine it.
The Report Canvas shows different fields based on the chart type selected.
Analyzer Toolbar and Filters Use the Analyzer Toolbar functions to undo or redo actions, hide lists of fields, add or hide filters, disable the auto-refresh function, adjust settings, and change the view of your report.
Use the Filters panel to display a list of filters applied to the active report, or edit or delete filters.
Create Your First Analyzer Report
The instructions below guide you through the creation of your first Analyzer report, using the Steel Wheels sample data.
- From the User Console Home page, click Create New, then choose Analysis Report.
- Choose the SteelWheels:SteelWheelsSales data source from the Select Data Source dialog box. Click OK. A blank Analyzer report appears.
- Click and drag the Territory element and drop it into the Rows field. Click and drag the Years element and drop it into the Columns field. Click and drag the Sales element into the Measures field.
A pivot table with the Territory, Years, and Sales data appears and populates with the information from the server.
- Click and drag the Line field and drop it above Territory in the Layout column on the canvas. Right-click the Line column header and select Show Subtotals from the menu that appears.
- Right-click the first Sales column and select Conditional Formatting -> Data Bar - Green in the menu that appears.
- Right-click the same Sales column and select User Defined Measure -> % of Rank, Running Sum... In the dialog box that appears, select the radio button next to % of Sales. Click Next.
- Select the radio button for Each Line Column/Row Subtotal (Subtotal is 100%). Click Done.
- Expand the Filters canvas by clicking the Show Filters icon. Click and drag the Territory field from the Available Fields panel into the filter canvas. The Filter on Territory dialog box appears.
- In the Filter on Territory dialog box, select APAC from the list and click the top, right-pointing arrow to move it to the box on the right.
- Enable Parameter Name by clicking on the check box in the bottom left of the dialog box. Type 'region' as your parameter name in the text box. Click OK.
The report updates and displays sales data for APAC exclusively.
- Click the line that separates each column to adjust it for better viewing. Move the line right or left as needed.
- Click the Save As icon in the toolbar. When the Save As dialog box appears, save your report as Territory - Sales in your user folder (be sure you can find this folder again later) and then click Save.
You have successfully created a simple Analyzer report from scratch. You may export the report to one of several different formats or close the report. Use Pentaho Analyzer guides you through working with complex Analyzer reports.