Prompts display a subset of data based on the dashboard user's point of view. For example, a European user may only want to see EMEA region sales data, whereas the dashboard's default region is the NA region. To ensure that a prompt links to the correct content in a dashboard, the content to which you are linking (data table or chart) must contain at least one parameter.
Get Started with Dashboards Prompts
Perform the following steps to add prompts to your dashboard:
- In the dashboard page, choose Edit (the pencil icon), which will make the Objects pane appear.
- Under General Settings, choose Prompts. The Prompts pane appears on the right. No prompts are listed if this is the first time you are assigning prompts.
- To display a prompt toolbar to users of the dashboard, enable Show Prompt Toolbar. The prompt toolbar appears at the top of the dashboard.
- Click the Add button to start adding prompts. The Prompts dialog box appears.
- In the Prompts dialog box, enter a display name for the control label. For example, 'Region'.
- Enable Display Name as Control Label if you want users to see the display name in the prompts toolbar.
- Select your control type. Control types define how your prompt values are selected; for example, in a drop down list, radio button, check box, and so on.
The table below contains a description of each control type.
Control Type Description Drop-down Users select a value from a drop-down list of options. List Users select a value from a scrolling list. This prompt control type allows users to make multiple selections. Radio button Users click a radio button to choose a value. You can set the radio buttons to display vertically or horizontally. Check box Users select a check box to choose a value. This prompt control type allows users to make multiple selections within a set of check boxes. You can set the check boxes to display vertically or horizontally. Button Users click a button to choose a prompt value. This prompt control type allows users to make multiple selections within a set of buttons. You can set the buttons to display vertically or horizontally. Text field Users manually enter a text string or number into a text field. You can specify maximum characters allowed within the text box and the width of the text box itself. Date picker Users examine values based on calendar dates.
Your dashboard now has a prompt.
You can edit prompts as needed. Use these steps to edit prompts.
- Locate the prompts pane at the top of the panes in the dashboard.
- Located the different prompts and the drop-down menus next to them.
- Select the prompt you want to edit and choose an alternative prompt from the drop-down menu. The prompt changes, causing the graphs and charts in the dashboard to change appropriately.
You can also create the following types of prompts:
- Toolbar: Create a dashboard toolbar for your prompts.
- List: Define a query to retrieve a list of display names and corresponding values from a metadata data source.
- Date: Select values based on calendar dates.