You can group data in your Interactive Reports so that related items appear together. Filters can be used to restrict or limit data in a report, so that you can build the report to show only the information that you want to view by grouping values and applying filters directly from the columns in the report.
You can organize the data in your interactive reports by grouping it by different fields, such as geographic region, product line, or both.
Use any of the following three methods to group data in your report:
- To group data that is already a column in your report, click the column header and drag it up above the other headers in your report. Release the mouse button once the horizontal green line appears.
- To group data in a field that is not already a column in your report, drag it from the Data tab in the left pane. Drop the field in the space above the report headers.
- To group data by more than one field, you can nest it into a group by dragging the field or column header beneath the original group.
Now your data is grouped and organized in your interactive report. You can also sort the data by clicking on the arrows that appear next to the group names, or create some filters to further refine your data.
After you are done, just click Save or Save As and choose the location to store your report.
Filters are used to restrict or limit data in a report, so that you can build the report to show only the information that you want to view.
For example, a typical report shows sales by product line. A time filter on Quarter restricts the data so that only sales for one quarter are shown. If you then add a regional filter for Europe, the report would display data pertaining to European sales for that quarter. If you add a filter on another field to exclude a product, the report would display data pertaining to European sales in that quarter, which are also not a part of the excluded product line.
The following steps describe how to add filters to an interactive report:
- Click the plus sign next to No Filters on the toolbar near the top of the report. A workspace for filters appears at the top of the report.
- From the Available Fields panel, drag fields into the Filter Panel. The Filter dialog box appears. Notice that the values associated with the field are listed in the dialog box. You can choose one of these values, or you can enable Match a specific string to filter the report on a specific string of data.
- Select the value or values that you want from the Add Selected list and click the arrow to move it into the right pane. The value appears with a green check mark next to it in the right pane.
- After you have selected all of the values that you need from the list, click OK to exit the dialog box.
- Repeat this process for each field that you want to filter on. The interactive report displays data for the chosen values only.
- Save your report.
Your report is filtered and saved. You can click Undo or Reset to return to the previous version of the report.
Filter on Date Fields
Use the following steps to add a filter that matches a specific value:
- In the toolbar, click Filters. The Filters Panel appears above the report.
- Click and drag a date field from the right pane into the Filters area. The Filters dialog box opens.
- Next to the field name, choose a date constraint from the list, then click the small arrow on the right to display the date picker. To create a "date range" you must add two filters: one for the start date, and one for the end date.
- In the date picker, choose your date.
- Click OK to save your filter.
The report display updates as soon as the filter is added. The filter appears in the Filter box and an icon displays next to the field name in the Data tab. Also, the number of filters added to the report appears next to the filter icon in the toolbar.
You can edit the filter by clicking Edit. You can delete the filter by clicking the delete button.
Flag a Filter as a Dashboard Parameter
You can flag a filter constraint as a Dashboard parameter. The parameter name will appear on the Parameters tab in Dashboard Designer when you place the report into a dashboard panel. You can also edit parameters while working in Report Designer.
Perform the following steps to flag a filter:
- After you create your filter, enter the parameter name in the Parameter Name text box.
- Click OK.
- Save your report.
The parameter is ready to be used in Dashboard Designer. To see if the parameter appears in Dashboard Designer, insert your report into a dashboard panel. The parameter name will appear on the Parameters tab.